Highly Available, High Performance Distributed Core
Delivers high density and switching capacity in a compact 2RU switch. This new switch has up to 2.5 Terabits of switching capacity, delivering line-rate performance under full load. It is designed to address your aggregation needs through centralized core or distributed core architectures for:
- High performance enterprise data centers
- High performance computing cores
- Cloud computing cores
The Z9000 can be positioned as a core switch or end-of-row switch within a data center, supporting 32 ports of 40GbE QSFP or 128 ports of 10GbE. The Z9000 also supports a full suite of Ethernet switching and routing protocols in the hardened FTOS operating system to enable Layer 2 or Layer 3 network architectures.
Grow with confidence
A distributed core design with Z9000 switches can enable massively scalable, high performance data center networks with 10/40GbE top-of-rack (ToR), 10/40GbE end-of-row and 40G core network connections. A distributed control plane in a Clos-based leaf-spine architecture can be leveraged to build a highly scalable data center switching fabric. Distribution of traffic between the leaf and spine trunks can be achieved through ECMP at Layer 3 or Layer 2 (OSPF or BGP can be used as the Layer 3 control plane protocol and TRILL in future Layer 2 deployments).
Resiliency in a distributed core model is much improved compared to centralized core architectures since the failure of a single node within the Clos network cannot bring down the entire switching fabric. A single switching element can be restarted or replaced in the event of a failure versus the need for an entire chassis reboot in a centralized design.
Improve network efficiency
Increase network availability, agility and efficiency while reducing power and cooling costs with Dell Force10 Z-Series core switches, supporting mission critical applications across converged fabrics in data center, enterprise and HPCC networks.
- 2-RU high-density 10/40GbE aggregation/core switch with 32 40GbE ports, expandable to 128 10GbE ports using QSFP+ breakout cables
- 2.5 Tbps (full-duplex) non-blocking, fabric delivering line-rate performance under full load
- Scalable L2 and L3 Ethernet switching with QoS and a full complement of standards-based IPv4 for unicast and multicast applications
- Clos-based architecture enables you to build a line-rate, non-blocking core for 2000 10GbE servers
- Combined with the Dell Force10 S4810 in the access layer with 3:1 oversubscription, a distributed core can provide connectivity to 6000 10GbE servers
- Control Plane Policing (CoPP) provides protection for the CPU against DOS attacks
- Open Automation Framework adds VM-awareness as well as automated configuration and provisioning capabilities to simplify the management of virtual network environments
- Modular Dell Force10 Operating System (FTOS) software delivers inherent stability as well as advanced monitoring and serviceability functions
- VirtualView offers real-time network and application traffic monitoring for virtualized data centers
- Data Center Bridging (DCB) hardware enables a lossless Ethernet fabric for iSCSI storage and NFS traffic
- 128 link aggregation groups feature up to eight members per group, using advanced hashing with random seed values
- Jumbo frames support high-end server connectivity
- Reversible front-to-back or back-to-front airflow options
- Redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans